This Photo TimeLine album attempts to illustrate the life of aeronautical engineer and novelist Nevil Shute Norway (1899-1960).
Already frustrated by the lack of any organized collection of Nevil Shute images and information, I was inspired to collect and collate the album by Derek Hill's fascinating presentation at the Oz2001 conference. Derek showed a terrific photo of an exhilarated 31 year old Nevil Shute in the Navigator's Cockpit of R100 and I realized that I wanted to see if there was more.
The early part of the album is fairly bare of photos of early photos of Shute and his family but we still have hope that more photos will be found.
Anyone with an un-featured Nevil Shute related photo in their possession or finding one anywhere are kindly asked to send a copy to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all the details that you know of publication, photo credits, website name etc etc. If you have a suggestion for a Shute-related photo that you feel should be here please don't hesitate to contact me.
Enormous thanks go to the many, many enthusiastic people who contributed photos that they took themselves, owned or found in books and websites. At the end of this document is a list of credits that explains the cryptic initials under the photos. Anyone who assisted and is not credited should please contact me immediately.
Avid researchers will find notes on several missing and much desired photos and are encouraged to do their own search to help to improve this document.
The arrangement is as chronological as is reasonable.
I hope you enjoy this labour of love that can never begin to repay the debt I owe to Nevil Shute Norway for all the interest, pleasure, and general enjoyment of life that, while I never met him, he has unselfishly shared with me.
Richard (Seventh Vote) Michalak
If the credit in brackets begins with the word Photo: then the first set of initials is the photographer, the next is the source and the 3rd, if any, is who found it.
If the word Photo: is missing then the photographer's name is unknown and the first set of initials is the source and the second, if any, is who found it. In many cases people sent photos I already had so I have mentioned the first person to send in a copy of any given photo.
- AB = Andy Burgess
- AC = Art Cornell
- AH = Aviation Heritage website
- ANL = Australian National Library
- AO = From The Airships Online Website
- AT = Anthony Triggs book "Portsmouth Airport"
- AWW = Australian Women's Weekly
- BJBC = The Bobbi-Jo Blake Collection
- BSH = Barry Stobart Hook
- BW = Barnes Wallis by JE Morpugo
- CC = Chris Connellan
- CE = Clayton Evans photographer
- CEB = Charles E Brown photographer
- CHS = Cairns Historical Society - copyright)
- CO = Changeover.com Nevil Shute website
- DDT = David Dawson-Taylor
- DeH = De Havillands
- DH = Derek Hill
- DHB = De Havilland Book "DH"
- DHM = D.H. Middleton from his Airspeed book
- DLPB = David Lawrence and Peter Bird's Lyons Tea Website and Book.
- DSC = Delatite Shire Council
- DT = Dan Telfair
- EK = Edwina Kastner
- FGC = The Fred Greenwood Collection
- FM = Flight Magazine
- FN = Frances Norway
- FOF = Flight of Fancy by James Riddell. Photos are uncredited but are probably by James Riddell.
- HCCMS = Hampshire County Council's Museum Service
- HMC = The Heather Mayfield Collection
- INSS = International Nevil Shute Society
- JA = John Anderson
- JB = Johan Bakker
- JBW = The Reverend John B. Wilcox
- JC = Jack Calaway
- JL =
- JM = Joost Meulenbroek
- JMC = The John Middleton Collection
- KD = Ken Deacon Website
- KDLR = Keith De La Rue Website
- LG = Lisa Greenwood
- LM = Liz Manterfield
- MC = Michael Cullen
- ME = Martin Evans
- MEM = Model Engineer magazine
- MH = Mark Harden Website
- MW = Malcom White
- NAMC = National Aviation Museum of Canada
- NLI = National Library of Ireland
- NSBP = Nevil Shute Book Page website
- OU = Photo origins unknown. In some cases the websites have since disappeared.
- PAF = Permission applied for
- PAL = Perspectives in American Literature Website
- PB = Penguin Books
- PD = Peter d'Abbs
- PDJ = From a Pastoral Dust Jacket
- PL = Portsmouth Library
- PN = Philip Nixon
- PP = Permission Pending
- PT = Petersfield Trust
- QSL = QSL History of Radio Communications and Electronic Media Website
- RHKAAF = The Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Airforce Website
- RM = Richard Michalak
- RMor = Richard Morris
- RP = Ruth Pearson
- RS = Rugby School Library
- SiEAC = Sherburn-in-Elmet Aero Club
- SS = Shrewsbury School website
- SM = Susan Major
- SMH = The Sydney Morning Herald
- SMp = Streetmap UK
- SR = Slide Rule
- SW = Ships of The World Website
- TA = The Aeroplane magazine
- TAC = The Artchive Website
- TBRGTW = The Beaulieu River Goes To War 1939-45 by Cyril Cunningham ISBN 0 9523386
- TD = The Draconian. The Dragon School's Magazine.
- THHS = The Hamble Historical Society Website
- TSM = The Sphere Magazine
- TWTAATF "The World, the Air and the Future" by Charles Dennistoun Burney Alfred Knopf , London 1929
- WIA = Wireless Association of Australia
- WK = Wikipedia
- YP = Yorkshire Post